Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Whiskey Review: Bushmills Black Bush Irish Whiskey



Category
Irish Whiskey

Age Statement
None, but estimated to be 7 - 10 years old malt whiskies.

ABV
40%

Production Note
Triple distilled, aged in a combination of ex-sherry and bourbon casks.

Price
Very affordable.  Good value for money!

Nose
Oak, sherry, cooked apples.

Palate
Smooth entry of sweet chocolate mousse, dark raisins followed by a light spiciness.  Warm fruitcake.

Finish
Long.  Lingering malt notes, blackberry, cherrywood, cocoa, salted dark chocolate.

General Impressions 
More sherried than bourbon cask influenced.  Balanced with no graininess.  Highly recommended!

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on judging the 2017 Canadian Whisky Awards. I really enjoyed this Bushmills Black and certainly will buy it again. I am hoping you can clarify for me, regarding the Canadian awards, the award for 'sipping whisky'. Sounds obvious, Chairman's Select, but was Lot 40 not considered or is it a different criteria? I have both so just interested. Thanks, Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mind the the 10 yr.... It's a very good price here as well... If I didn't already have the Powers Gold I would've grabbed a bottle. I'll definitely buy one...
    AL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will like the 10 for sure. I still like the Black Bush better though. Both are fine and affordable!

      Delete
  3. Sorry mate,
    I meant I'd tried the 10 yr previously. ... But yes will grab the Black Bush.
    AL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had the Black Bush last Friday night.... Loved loved it ! Got Green Apples and sherry on the nose...dried fruit..sultana and spice.
    got the salty choc on the finish.... Bloody nice and very easy to drink.... too easy Heh heh... and a very reasonable price !

    AL(from OZ)

    ReplyDelete